UAA offers Blackboard Collaborate (formerly eLive) for instructors to deliver a synchronous, web-based, learning experience through online, blended, and mobile learning. Instructors can use this tool as a meeting space to engage online students in real time discussion, use for online class office hours, provide a space for students to collaborate, and open their virtual classroom to guest speakers. Some instructors use the tool to record lectures. Users can join from MAC or PC and on their mobile devices.
Additional instructor information about Collaborate is available on our Bb Collaborate webpage.
Here are a few resources for you to use with students to get them prepared for Blackboard Collaborate sessions.
1. Use (and modify) this Powerpoint document Collaborate orientation for students in your first collaborate session with your students. Use the ‘load content” button to upload to the whiteboard.
2. Here is an example email to send your students before your first class.
Please complete these simple Getting Ready steps well before your first session:
• Review and/or print this “Participants Quick Reference Guide for Students (pdf)” and visit this Online Orientation.
On the computer you will be using for the meeting, complete the system check:
- Was your computer able to successfully log into the Configuration Room (Step 2)?
- Was the audio wizard (Tools > Audio > Audio Setup Wizard) completed successfully to test your microphone and speakers?
If you are having trouble getting Collaborate to run on your computer, please call UAA IT Callcenter at (907) 786-4646. I will be available 20 minutes before the first session if you need orientation to the tools before class start. Please join ahead of time to test audio and ask any technical related questions.